Thursday, October 4, 2012

Dog Blogging

So today I am a blogger.  I'm not sure what that all means, but I guess I'll find out.  I'm not very disciplined with things like this, but I'm really going to try to make a go of this.

The reason I'm doing this is that I have a new puppy, Bowie.  A 15 wk Belgian Tervuren.  It's the first puppy I've owned in 16 years (I'm not counting Arrow who was pretty much physically grown by the time I took permanent custody of him) and it's a really interesting process.

So I got Bowie on Thurs. Sept. 13th, Three weeks ago.  I got Bowie from a friend of mine who breeds Belgian Tervuren (Tervs, for short).  I took Bowie into my home with NO intention of keeping her.  Why's that, do you ask? Well, my Friend, being the good and responsible breeder she is had these two extra puppies....Puppies that had not been purchased yet and had no furever home, that needed to get out into the world, experience life and be socialize during the critical 8-15 wk imprint period. So I agreed to take one of her puppies for a couple of weeks. I had done this before for my friend. And she really has wanted me to keep a puppy. And although I liked the other puppy, I was never interested in having a puppy. I already have 2 dogs and quite frankly puppies are just too much trouble....Then I met Bowie. Bowie wasn't her original name either, but I'll write more about that later.

So Bowie is this really sweet, outgoing Terv.  If you know anything about Tervs, you know they just are not very social.  They tend to be wary of new people, dogs and experiences. So this one, this little Terv really surprised me. Yet I was going to stay strong. Remember, I didn't want a puppy. But as the days wore on and I spent more and more time with her, she really started to grow on me.  And then, Arrow played with her.  That was huge. Arrow, my 5 year old mix breed had always been very aloof with the other puppy I took care of.  He was not interested in her at all.  And Arrow, who has actually been acting a little depressed since his best friend, Darla had gone to live in New Jersey in March, was just way too "above" any puppy. But he like Bowie too. That meant a lot to me. So what was I going to do? Deny my feeling and now desire and Arrow's as well, or go for it and see, if by some chance, my husband would allow this critter into our lives for the next 12-14 years.  Well, obviously, I went for it and pleaded my case to keep her.  And you know what, he said, YES!

So now I have a new Terv puppy and a new blog...We'll see how it all goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment